9/17/12

THE ABYSS IS JUST AS BLINDING AS THE SUN was written in response to this line from composer Bonnie Neve, a former student of mine....this is her line...and it haunts....

THE ABYSS IS JUST AS BLINDING AS THE SUN

and I can feel its weight upon me
sing the songs that mermaids sing
while mermen sleep like drones beneath the
wilderness of sea

the sky is only mirror reflexion
of the deeps where this soul travels
all the heaviness of water
is my shield and is my armor

sing beside me wonder man child
you have fins and gills to breathe through
you can swim and flick your tail at
any lightning in this sea

in this wildness windless sea
while the sun comes filtered down
yellow browns and greens and grays
and sometimes gold into this sea

I won't leave - the sun is sharper
than a knife turn in this water
water then to me is home and not
the air when I have sea

take my cold hands filled with life
the ocean is intense with living
also moves in streams of dying just
the nature of the sea

the abyss is just as blinding as the sun
as strong as loving and as longing
for our souls our very spirits locked
for once for twice in sea
all ways locked into the sea



No comments:

Post a Comment