1/30/12

CAN'T FLIP IT SO I'M WALKIN' TOWARD HOME are LYRICS inspired by Hope Savage and Deb Kuhl Wendt havin' a bit of a conversation of post and comment on FB....just came to mind and head and heart and out it came....dedicated to these two Ladies - two of my favorite Singers/Performers of all time ever, for me....

CAN'T FLIP IT SO I'M WALKIN' TOWARD HOME

CHORUS

I was walkin' heavy I was walkin' light
Never saw the dawn and never dreamed all night
You're a rock-n-roll man - I can't hold your hand -
I can't flip it so I'm walkin' toward home....
____________________

You been in cowboy boots all shinin' black and gold
We did the two-step tight out on that old dance floor -
You wore that western belt - your eyes were blue and cold...
I just can't flip it so I'm walkin' toward....

If I just had a twang, I'd sing that country song:
I'd sing it loud as thunder - bring the storm on, too...
I'd sing lost love and us: scream it all night long...
I just can't flip it so I'm walkin' toward....
_____________________

CHORUS
_____________________

You said you'd be my friend - and yep, my lover too...
Held me sweet and close - I thought I'd surely weep...
Over my shoulder you were makin' moves untrue -
I just can't flip it so I'm walkin' toward....

Go on and leave me - ain't waitin' anyway...
Got new stuff goin' on and tho I cannot sleep -
I got to think a bit before I have my say...
I just can't flip it so I'm walkin' toward....
_______________________

CHORUS
_______________________

Ain't been a groupy yet - don't think I'll ever be...
You're not no big star yet and baby, you don't shine...
And anyways, you wern't that kind to me...
I just can't flip it so I'm walkin' toward....

When I make this scene big, you'll see my name in lights...
Don't try to find me babe - I won't pick up that call...
You weren't for me and you ain't got no right...
And I can't flip it so I'm walkin toward home....
________________________

CHORUS
_______________

1 comment:

  1. Amazing idea, especially "your star don't shine." After my brother Bill and I returned from Europe tour with Talented Teens in 1965, I was convinced I didn't want "my" star to shine. I loved Europe but hated the idea of being a performer. This had nothing to do with the very fine receptions we had in every venue where we played. It just was that something was missing in my own musical education. I'm still working on this, especially after having read "An Incomplete Education" half a decade ago.
    You don't have to be an "expert" to love something, but you have a heck of a hard time trying to convince people that maybe Opera wasn't that lousy, or that your comprehension of rhythm and harmony was a little on the "short" side in terms of contemporary pop music.
    I hated contemporary (1960s) rock music in the years I was in college - to the point that I didn't even recognize "names" of groups whom the world now thinks are immortal. Sheesh! Couldn't anyone just listen to Schubert lieder for a minute? Couldn't anyone just listen to Bach?
    My brother Bill and I - when we had two banjos - arranged the first movement of Bach's No. 8 two-part Invention for banjos as a joke, just for fun.
    Apparently, several rock groups - Phish included - were classically trained musicians, not that I liked what they did. I did, however, have to drive my son Russell and his friends to a hotel near one of their last concerts in Wisconsin, leave Russell and his friends there, then drive back to Peoria, Il, only to pick them up when the concert was over.
    Apparently, something clicked with some of my kids that never clicked with me, other than to recognize superior sound engineering.
    So what do you guess my youngest son Russell is going into as a college student since last year? Digital music engineering. And his older brother Ryland is a computer science major.
    These children can "hear" music the way I never could, not that I ever wanted to know the physics of it.
    Do you think they'll ever get the "soul" of it?

    ReplyDelete