2/18/13

COLD AS THIS AIR IS is haiku poetry for the Miwok, The First People of this Central Miwok Region of the up-country Sierra. it is fitting that a foreign person, as I am, would use another foreign poetry form to write my impressions about my learnings!...I hope these People will be patient with this student!.....

COLD AS THIS AIR IS

Cold as this Air is
Mountain Sun makes Life warmer
I wait in This Sun

Four months of Deep Snow
Miwok never lived This High
Too Cold for Acorns

Bear is Like a Man
You would not kill this Fine Man
He is One Brother

Grinding Rock Cleaning
Soaproot Brush and clean feet, skirts:
Women are Cleaning

When the Time is Right
You will know the Bulbs are Here
Digging Stick goes deep

Learning Old Ways, Signs -
Things used long ago and well
Gather in Harvests


These are not my Ways
Still, the Ways of these People
Sing, for me, This Song



No comments:

Post a Comment