2/21/12

BROKEN SPIRITS MEND SLOWLY is a short-short-story about what we're all really thinkin' when we're busy bein' polite and such...especially when we first meet 'our match' from across some crowded cafe room....Love can come on down whenever it pleases...right in the middle of sayin' just about nothin'....


BROKEN SPIRITS MEND SLOWLY


(every where around me I see where spirits have been broken here and them spirits are all in folk's eyes.) What'll you have?
Coffee. Black, please. (I know I can see what's in them eyes. you got a story to tell?)
(not to you, cowboy.) Any pie with that? We got blueberry, strawberry/rhubarb. May have some custard left....
Well, OK....hmmmmm. Surprise me. (I'm not surprised. you are so lovely. you can pick and choose who you want to be with.)
(damn straight. I don't give it away to anybody, buddie.) OK, Pot luck , then! Coming right up!
Do you get much business out here? You're pretty much off the beaten path! (got a boyfriend? he must live far aways from you, by the look in them eyes...)
Well, it can get lonely out here. (maybe I just said too much, there. getting nervous. he looks so nice. kind, even...)
Is it OK to smoke in here? (I'm getting nervous just being next to you. you smell so pretty.)
Yeah, just not at the marked tables. (hope you keep talkin' to me. don't know when I've felt so pretty before.... )
Do you have a movie house in town? (would you go out with me if I asked you right?)
Yeah, but they don't play late hours, so I don't get to go often...(ask me my schedule...please....ask me out....let me see how I feel about that....)
When do you get off of work? (god. asked too soon. she's gonna say no for sure...)
At eight tonight...(why, cowboy? think you'll get lucky?....)
(she's gettin' skittish....did make my move too soon...damn....) Would you like to go out for a drink after work? I mean, if you drink...or for a walk of somethin'?
Well, I don't know you. I don't even know your name! (why am I so into this? this guy is really getting to me somehow....)
I'm Joe. Joe True. What's your name? (why am I so into this? this woman is really getting to me somehow....)
Betsy Majors. (I sure do hope he's not a weirdo or a freak or whatever....)
The pie and coffee were good...have you worked here long? (I'm getting lamer and lamer here....this is bad....)
Since high school...I go to the Junior College during the day. (I'm so not just a dumb waitress you can push over, you know....)
Me too! I'll be gettin' my AA this Spring...but I think I'll be workin' with my Dad out on the ranch after that for awhile. He needs me there. (well, that was a mouth-full...but now she knows I'm not so dumb either....)
Well, OK then. I gotta get back to work...so I'll see you here at eight...you got a car? (maybe I'm too eager and stuff. he probably thinks he'll get into my pants...)
Yeah, I got that red Mustang out there. You can see it from the window. It was my Dad's. Runs great. (whatever. impress her? god knows...her eyes. someone or something hurt her bad once. maybe this isn't good....what am I getting into here?.....)
(his eyes. someone or something hurt him bad once. maybe this isn't good....what am I getting into here:....) Yeah. I see it. nice car! Well, I got to get back to work here!
(she is so pretty. so nice, somehow. maybe I'll be the one to take the hurt away. it will take time, that's all. we got time. this is just a first date, after all....) So, I'll see you tonight. Hey, I won't let you down. I will be here. I just want you to know that...
Thank you. I appreciate you're saying that. It would be embarrassing to be hanging around waiting for you. (I'm laughing so you won't see me crying.)
No, thank You! It would be embarrassing to come by and not have you here for this here date! (I'm laughing so you won't see me crying.)
See you later then! (I see you now. you have a broken spirit. but it will mend. slowly...with love....)
See you later then! (I see you now. you have a broken spirit. but it will mend. slowly...with love....)
(with love)
(with love)

No comments:

Post a Comment