2/28/12

KEN...is about Sword Practice of Japan...which I now no longer practice...having changed-over to the Practice of the Pen...Here is the Key to the words in the piece: KEN is sword practice...KATANA is the sword...MICHI is a way - The Way...RONIN is an unemployed Samurai "adrift at sea"...BUSHIDO is a Warrior Way: determined will to die...HAGAKURE means "Hidden Under Leaves": a mid-17th century military document about going beyond life and death...BUN BU CHI means the sword and pen in accord...SHIINAI indicates bamboo slats and leather sword... and BOKKEN is a wooden sword...


KEN

the question
when there is no other answer

Way of Ken
Brush on Paper moves

the ego

shatters

Ronin
seek the inner seas


Bushido
determined to die

the strike
the struck

Hagakure

Shinai
Bokken
in one heartbeat
Katana
Brush

all rise in Michi

Bun bu chi

One

1 comment:

  1. Dear Kathy,

    You must have read and studied the meanings of those words and the philosophy behind the Bushido aesthetics and such a way of life. An interesting historical figure I recommend you look into, is Musashi Miyamoto. He had written Gorin no sho (The book of Five Rings), and the writing is considered the bible of swordmanship in Japan still to this day. He was also an accomplished artist.

    I have become a Zen Buddhist recently, and began to see ancient Japanese history from the particular spiritual perspective. I would like to remind myself, the way most Samurais practiced, which has been admired by many westerners, is not my way of finding my place in this world. My goal, is to cultivate the sense of oneness with every living/non-living thing, without the means of harm.

    Thank you for sharing this blog. I enjoy reading your writing and your insights.

    Chie

    ReplyDelete