2/18/12

O, BUT LAD, YOU ARE A WRITER is the only advice-about-writing-because-you-asked that I've ever written...I hope it's useful even to my own self...it's all I think about writing...so it will have to do....

O, BUT LAD, YOU ARE A WRITER...

o, but lad, you are a writer...
which, by nature, means that life has all not been said yet by you...
for, of course, you never saw the sun rise the same way twice...not ever since you first were a person who saw this light and claimed it your own...
and so, never have the same words to say "I saw the sun rise today" - because it is always never the same sun....

and, by nature, no one human man ever says the same things to each other human woman
and no one human woman ever says the same things to each other human man...
even if they have known them selves only a few meetings even if they have known them selves for years and years
or even all their born days....

It is all said by the stars (which are, of course, without words and always will be better than we at this speaking-business)
that human's sayings are a gift for us and a curse for us:

we will never say what the stars can say.

so instead we say "I love" or "I like" or "I hate" and hope beyond hope that
the feelings come through our mouths
somehow new. somehow, less alone. somehow, more 'wise'

and then we say "perhaps it has all been said" when what we really mean is

"can you see me?" "do you have words for me?"
"you there. you, holding that apple. will you walk beside me?"
"will you walk beside me quietly?"

and,

"when you speak...

will you speak

new words?"....

No comments:

Post a Comment