7/5/12

WHEN YOU SANG JOAN OF ARC is about how I feel when I hear the CD of Den singin' Leonard Cohen's Joan of Arc when he was in his twenties...sad for what we didn't have...happy, for what we do have now...it's a poem/lyrics...there's a song for it somewhere inside of us....

WHEN YOU SANG JOAN OF ARC

When you're singin' Joan of Arc,
I simply gotta cry...
When your voice goes up like angels -
Makes me want to fly...
And you were young and full of life
You sang with feelings so:
It makes me cry to feel them now -
Just knowin' what I know...

That all our lives we should have been -
Should not have been apart...
That all that time we were of One:
One Way of Life - One Heart...
And that's all that I ever hear
When you sing Joan of Arc...
That's always what I hear, my dear,
When you sing Joan of Arc....

I sang her sad song, too, you know -
I sang it all those years...
And that is why I'm mourning now -
Tho smiling though my tears...
For you are all I ever knew
in every single song...
You're all I want singin' beside me
For this whole life long....

1 comment:

  1. This poem is one of my favorites for many reasons. I have always loved the story of Joan of Arc. (Did you know that Sara's confirmation name is Joan of Arc? Sara still wears the Joan of Arc pendant I gave her 15 years ago.) And Cohen's lyrical, mystical ballad has always made me cry. And this poem says it all regarding you and your love. Kathy, my sister, this is your masterpiece.

    ReplyDelete