12/4/11

SONG FOR A SOLDIER TRUE was written in August of this year...and somehow got lost in the shuffle of time and other writings...so, here it is, still waiting for its hopeful song...it's Deb's 'call' first of course...then, too...it belongs to us all....

On Fri, Aug 26, 2011 at 10:09 AM, wrote:

these are beautiful and I'd love to sing them.
I've written two songs about the war...one is on my site and usually gets a good reaction. It's in 3/4 time.
It's on this page (link below) and is called "when are you gonna bring my boy home" Like I said in my post yesterday, I'm really heartbroken when I hear about soldiers who die. I met so many military when working in the embassies and I have a healthy amount of disdain for the politicians who start wars that ruin lives for so many people. In my song, I also try to address the Arab populations who suffered (without naming them). "my people" is a reference to my children who are half Algerian. I lived in Algeria for 6 years and when you live with Arabs you have another perspective on Middle East politics.

I even had a wild idea to write a musical about different couples affected by deployment in the war. I had so many songs (some are fun and more serious) about relationships that once my daughter (the theater major) and I sat down and made a rough outline of a script. The basic concept was different couples (a young typical couple, a gay woman couple, an middle aged couple, or perhaps a parent/child relatioship...can't remember everything we had thought of) were affected by their spouse's inscription and eventual deployment into the service. One is tempted by love at home; somebody would have to die ..maybe someone at home instead of the person at war...don't really know. In any case, we had worked the story around the songs I had written up until then and they often fit well. The song at the link below was the finale since it talked about the relationships we have with those who are off at war..he's my daddy, he's my brother, he's my long lost lover, he's my husband, he's my son, when will this war be done? When are you gonna bring my boy home?

http://deborahkuhl.com/originalmusic.html


-----Original Message-----
From: Kathleen Everitt [mailto:katheamann@gmail.com]
Sent: Friday, August 26, 2011 02:28 AM
Subject: Song for a Soldier True


NOTE to Debbie: this may not lend itself to music and arrangement, maybe...I can't hear it (as usual, I might point out!) BUT! I'm sending them anyways...maybe there will be a time we can use these lyrics....

These song lyrics are dedicated to the couples in the armed services I know and have known, and have felt for very deeply:

SONG FOR A SOLDIER TRUE

CHORUS:

now there is no sorrow
no fire on the sea
you are in my arms again
and all I am is free

_______________________________

suppose there is this battle -
suppose I am not strong -
will you be my shield or sword?
and where do I belong?
do you take my lightly then?
or do you take me grim?
can I soldier brave for you?
or sing your battle hymn?....

_______________________________

CHORUS

_______________________________

If we are to die today
or by the evening light -
would you hold me tenderly
far through this smokey night?
can you hold your head up?
tell me this and be true:
are you good for me and darlin
am I good for you?

__________________________________

CHORUS

__________________________________

I've heard we're only shadows in
the sunlight by the shore -
the waves wash in the waves wash out
we cannot ask for more....
still I just want to ask you
just one more time my dear
can you sing away our pain
or laugh away this fear?

__________________________________

CHORUS

______________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment