11/16/11

SONG FOR FORTY SOME YEARS OF TOM WAITS is my date with destiny betwixt me and Tom: we'll meet another time and place...I just know it! meantimes, somebody better find these Lyrics their Song, or they just won't get sung, folks...that would be such a shame - don't ya think?!....

SONG FOR FORTY-SOME YEARS OF TOM WAITS

CHORUS:

I'm like the mermaid who rhumbas for ya, Baby -
I've a mean tarantella that'll make your feet ring -
I ain't afraid of no juke joint stomp -
For the great Tom Waits I'd dance to most anything...
__________

Drownin' in a Madrigal and bawlin' through some lullaby:
I just gotta say the man brings on a fine, fine song...
It's what - twenty vinyls now - he just keeps agoin' -
Real Gone songs "grew up hard" all along...
For a rovin' Song Man it's A Long Way Home -
And he ain't even trying to Hold Back Spring...
He's a roust-about Brawler with a Kerouac Beat -
He can bring through The Song about any old thing....
_____________

CHORUS
______________

I ain't no Orphan Child - but if I was one
I could sing tough ballads like Tom Waits can do -
I can love them Shiney Things - can growl like Leadbelly -
I can sing of melancholy - trainwrecks goin' on through -
But I can't do them country-blues all streaked with jazz riffs
With gravelly heart and full-up soul to sing away my fears -
And still be damn good - and tell strange tales all-along ...
Not all-along...no, not for all them years....
____________

CHORUS
____________

No comments:

Post a Comment