4/25/12

NO PAIN WILL KISS THE BROW is a psychobabble message sent to me in a bottle from Cyberspaceandtimecosmosether-Land. Word.

NO PAIN WILL KISS THE BROW


last night, just after I sent a bunch of photos to a friend on an
email: an odd event happened: a second or so after I sent it off with
an 'OK'....a new one flipped on - a new email 'compose' that is - with
his address on top...and a 'Subject"...the Subject read: In dreams, no
pain will kiss the brow....
now you have to see: I did not write the subject. I did not write: In
dreams, no pain will kiss the brow. not one word. it just appeared.
out of thin air. no lie: I did not readdress my friend. there was no
message attached. just those words. which I had never heard before.
had never read before. had never written before. had not written this
night. not one word of it it had just popped up in the 'Subject' line.
I did not know why. I do not know why. I asked him about it. I asked
my friend who lives with me about it. he had seen it happen on my
computer screen. since we were both skyping our friend at the time
that I was emailing him pictures... but didn't seem surprised. and
said he couldn't figure out why it happened either. of course...

the night was very, very, very stormy...a series of huge storms were
going to be coming in... this was the first of them: there were skies
shocked with lightening and thunder and buckets of rain. today I
learned that it had snowed about ten miles away from me. and hailed
only a mile or so from me. we live where it very rarely snows or
hails. the moon was going into perigee this very night. it was
appearing huge. couldn't see it of course. on account of the storm. it
was an amazing night! that much was for sure....

back to the line. which existed. I sent it off to our friend. with a
note just questioning the universe and all: why had this line
happened?....then I got curious. what if the line really existed in
real space and time. existed somewhere in literature. or in a song of
something...so,,,I looked for it in google naturally. and you know:
the line really exists...it truly does. and here is its story:
well. read a bit. you'll see. this line: which appeared in print
through my computer into the Subject line of an email I did not
initiate: is real....

Eldorado Overture...From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia...Jump to:
navigation, search
"Eldorado Overture"
Song by Electric Light Orchestra from the album Eldorado
Released 1974
Recorded De Lane Lea Studios
Genre Symphonic Rock
Length 2:11
Label Jet, United Artists, Columbia
Writer Jeff Lynne
Producer Jeff Lynne
Eldorado track listing
"Eldorado Overture"
(1) "Can't Get It Out of My Head"

"Eldorado Overture" is the opening track on Electric Light Orchestra's
1974 concept album Eldorado.

It was a new experience for Jeff Lynne to use a full orchestra and
choir for the band's songs. The opening starts with haunting sounds
provided by Richard Tandy on the synthesizer. A deep voice (Peter
Forbes-Robertson) speaks out the first lyrics of the entire album.

The dreamer, the unworken fool,
In dreams, no pain will kiss the brow.
The love of ages fills the head.
The days that linger there in prey of emptiness,
Of burned out dreams.
The minutes calling through the years.
The universal dreamer rises up above his earthly burden.
Journey to the dead of night.
High on a hill in Eldorado...

The words fade into an orchestra that opens the concept of the LP,
from 1:11 to 2:11. The orchestra slows and segues into the next track
Can't Get It Out of My Head. Since the two tracks fit together well,
they were performed together up until the Time tour in 1981.

[edit] Reviews"The first actual experience of having a great big
orchestra was the Eldorado Overture and it blew me away. I never write
the words to my songs until after I've finished the music. In this
case, I wrote the spoken introduction for the actor in the van on the
way to the studio." Jeff Lynne (2000 - Flashback)

Can you see that part?! the part in the poem or introduction or
whatever it is...the second line? the part that reads, "In dreams, no
pain will kiss the brow."? ...well? doesn't it strike you as being a
wee bit strange that those are exactly, precisely the words that were
in the Subject portion of that email? doesn't it?....

I have now read over the poem or passage in the overture or whatever
this is. I have read it over and over and over. sometimes I almost
think that I understand it. that it's about a person's life. how you
dream about how it's going to be. and then you live it. and it's not
that. your life is something else. not the dream. how you die even
thinking that the dream is real. was maybe more real than the life.
but was a good dream. whether or not it came though for a person. or
for me. or for anyone. that line about the journey towards the end.
does it mean to a heaven of sorts? or just an end? the Eldorado part.
is that about how it all had meaning? or how none of it had meaning.
and that that's OK. or something like that...

then I start thinking that none of life has all that meaning. I mean:
just think: there are about seven million of us. who cares about the
every single dream of every single second of every single one of us?
how many of our own dreams came 'true'? and what did that mean for us?
for anyone else? how is it possible to judge anyone? their dreams...or
mine? what value they had? whether there was pain you could read on
any one's brow. much less mine...my minutes...rising above my earthly
burden...what does this all mean?....

suddenly I see it. then I don't. then I do. then I don't. then I do.
then I suddenly...suddenly...let go. I realize that I will never.
never. never: understand my life. or anyone elses. or why I've done
all the good I've done. or all the bad I've done. why some of my
dreams came through. why others never came true at all. why so many of
them repeated themselves over and over. meaning my relationships with
others. mainly. mainly repeating in some odd ways: my relationships
with men. always looking for Eldorado.

and there it is. Eldorado. what I. what anyone else: tried to do: to
reach our dreams. or maybe: our hopes: about what our lives: our
relationships: were going to be. how our lives: how my life: were
supposed to be. was supposed to be. how good it was all supposed to
be. or how maybe - let's say: I - was supposed to be. how I was
supposed to be so perfect. if only I dreamed right. if only I played
it right. if only I maneuvered things my way. if only I manipulated
things to work my way. if only I was kind. if only I was good. if only
I was honest. then everything would be perfect there would be no pain
upon my brow. the dream would be real. it would be ideal...as if. as
if any life has a right to all that. now. now I know:

there is only night at the end. out of the night: the light can be
seen. which means you find it. you find the light. which is maybe the
dream all along. the peace of the light. well: the night has its peace
too. it really does. it is all one thing. it is all the same. the
differences we feel between us. the sameness we feel between us. it is
all the same. sometimes we get to dream strongly. sometimes we get a
glimpse of the gold: the Eldorado. then it is gone. we lose it hourly.
we see it again. we reach for it. even touch it again. maybe again. it
is never the answer. most likely: it is only the question.

this is all to say: that I have no idea how those words appeared in
the subject space. that I sent to a sensible and good-hearted friend:
who would totally be confused by this strange set of crazy musings
I've just filled this page within. who would not understand why I do
understand what I've just written...why it has given me some peace.
actually: a great deal of peace. why peace is important to me...having
had enough pain in my life to feel strongly: that I do not want the
pain on my brow. that I do not want anything bad. but that the bad is
always there. and that the good is always there. that it is all one
thing. that I am not very worried about that right now. I am not even
very enlightened by knowing all that either. that all these musings
are pretty stupid. they are also pretty weird. but they are OK as
well. they are fine. they are part of my dream. that's all they are.
they are part of my mind and my heart and my dreams of what was to be.
of what didn't happen in my life. and what did happen in my life: how
it was all one thing.

I believe it's all about love. that's all it's about. that's all it's
been...this short and barely important: and dream-real life of mine.
and not on just one love with any one person. love with hundreds of
people every year of my life. in hundreds of ways. all of it dream.
all of it real. all of it right. all of it not in prey of emptiness.
not all of it burned-out dreams. not all of it: earthly burden....

much of it: the love of ages. just like the poem said: the love of
ages. and ages and ages and ages: all the lives together: who had the
dreams. who looked for them in the dead of their nights. who learned
to love their ways to the gold at the top of their own mountains...who
touched their own Eldorado...and came back again...for some reason: to
me...on a cold and very windy night of rain and snow and hail and a
moon growing huge towards its perigee and tsunamis and plates moving
about on the earth...

to give me this small lesson:

do not desert your dreams.
though there be pain in your very thoughts.
upon your very brow...
though there be no dream possible:

keep reaching for your own Eldorado.
keep dreaming it.
keep on loving.

it is all I can do.
this strange message came to me:
I saw it.
I am
the unworken fool of the poem.
it' music is working in me
it is all I can do....

1 comment:

  1. Interesting how a "digital" phenomenon is as inexplicable as a "natural" one. Given how much "rational" (i.e. essays, articles) literature I consume, it's good to know that there are mysteries in the world. By the way, Eldorado plays a role in Bernstein's opera "Candide," which I'm going to see in May with Nancy and my daughter Ruthie. Candide actually does reach it, but returns to the world to reunited with his love, who has become (and always had been) a terrible mess. Despite the venality, hypocrisy, and dishonesty connected with all the quite humorous characters in Candide, the opera ends with a rather nice song. "We're neither pure, nor wise, nor good./ We'll do the best we know./ We'll build our house and chop our wood,/ And make our garden grow."

    ReplyDelete