1/15/13

ROUX AND GUMBO NOTES are a post I put onto Facebook...hope it's OK to repeat the good Allrecipes.com site here on the blog...if not, so sorry - but your recipe is so much like mine!...this is all to get ready for Mardi Gras, when you eat this stuff and go into a really happily exotic state of mind and person just before Lenten deprivations and such....it's a truly Southern business of being.....



  • now, you gotta practice cookin' up Roux for your gumbos for Mardi Gras comin' up...Den hates red, yellow, and green peppers, so mine is goin' to be WAY modified...just brownin'up the flour and vege oil for about 20 min, and then adding tons of Yellow onion and celery and garlic chopped real fine and then cookin' that down with water for about an hour and then you can add your meats and seafoods as you wish and make up your white rice to pour it all over....I use sausage, tasso (if I can get it - sure can't make it: it's smoked pork done a certain special way), and smoked chicken (again, if I can get it) or smoked turkey...or just regular chicken - and, of course, as the spirit moves me: okra or file' sassafras to thicken the whole mass to the right consistency....come on over, and I'll make it for you...you can help me chop up all those onions and celery!!!!!
    I have to add here: my secret ingredient in makin' Gumbo is Coffee. Yes, I add a cup of coffee to each batch of Gumbo at the stage when I'm cookin' down the Roux Vege Mix. The coffee makes the Roux smokey and exotic and dark and welcome. Try this, and folks will think your Gumbo is Magic....
    Like ·  ·  ·  · Promote
    • Kat Everitt this is sort-of the Cajun way...otherwise, it would be more seafood....also, the roux should look like dark melted chocolate without the sheen of an icing: real opaque, before you add the water....any questions, Chers????!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment