1/16/13

WHEN MY GRAMMA DIED is a poem about that. Great Loss is hard to have a song for....

WHEN MY GRAMMA DIED

I was an older kid and in nursing school I guess
and I don't recall it at all really except everyone
crying themselves dry as husks and my mother's
tears especially and crying and crying only I did
not cry at all and wondered why and then one
evening on a beach in Evanston Illinois I was
walking by my self and suddenly I began to cry
about my Gramma dying and I cried until I was
just sick as can be and then a long time after
they had an auction of all of her and my Uncle
Henry's stuff and I bought only a few things and
I cannot say I recall much of any of this at all
which means that it seared me through like a
hot iron and I'm not ever going to get over
my Gramma's dying because all the memories
are wrapped in strudels and chicken liver dumpling
soups and apples baked and hugs and letters and
songs and stories and Gramma memories that
have nothing to do with death at all.
so maybe she will come back. probably not.
my memories are footprints on the beach of
Lake Michigan when I was an older 'kid'...
there is no gettin' them back

No comments:

Post a Comment