1/14/13

saw a photograph and wrote a short poem about it...it's not about giving up - not at all - it's about just being in a 'place' - tired, maybe unkempt...but he has a friend or two...somethin' to eat...hopes for another day's future...and, of course, his cat....



I have a strong set of feelings about this photograph...Here's what I see:

No more work again today
This cat and I got ain't got a lot...
No place to live - but here to stay...
Some chicken soup inside the pot -
An' Tony lets me have one beer
On IOU, and then he'll say
Come on - I got milk for your cat -
Things'll be better yet some day
Things'll be great some other day....
Man at the Bar on Saturday Night, Craigville, Minnesota, 1937 via Library of Congress.
Man at the Bar on Saturday Night, Craigville, Minnesota, 1937 via Library of Congres

No comments:

Post a Comment